Share this article
How to start with Instagram Shopping
There are many reasons why you should sell your product on Instagram.
A powerful tool to promote your product:
Instagram turns 10 years in 2020, first used by pictures aficionados, Instagram became over the years a mainstream phenomenon with more than a 1.0B monthly active users.
Engage your audience
The opportunities of Instagram Shopping are huge: More than 70% of shopping enthusiasts use Instagram for product discovery.
As a results, more than 130 millions users click on a shopping post at least once per month.
Sell on Instagram seems an obvious choice for any retailers and E-commerce store owner.
As a result, Instagram rapidly became over the years a powerful tool for companies to target the right audience thanks to Facebook Ads Manager.
A frictionless user experience
Moreover, Instagram shopping offers e-commerce solutions for brands to convert “Likes” into “Buy” on top of a seamless customer Experience since 2017. Instagram has your back, from product discovery to purchase,
“This is the biggest step that we’ve taken yet in [e-commerce] ” Mark Zuckerberg said during a livestreamed conference on Facebook, 19 May 2020
In a nutshell, sell on Instagram seems an obvious choice for any retailers and E-commerce store owner.
What is the Instagram Shopping feature?
Instagram Shopping offers the great opportunity to integrate your product catalog with your Instagram Business profile.
In other words, Instagram users will be able to buy products directly from Stories, Posts and on your IG profile.
See below Nike’s example:
You can easily access to their catalog through Nike Instagram profile.
Good news: you can also tag up to 5 products in your posts and stories.
Therefore, your audience will be able to shop directly from your content.
The photo below shows you how product information and links are integrated in a post.
Note the bag icon that indicates it is a shoppable product.
Guess what? You can tag your Instagram stories as easily as your posts.
Gap’s Story is a good example to show:
The page product gives you many information about the product:
- Product Name
- Related products
- A link to view the product on the company website.
Please note that Instagram shopping is not available everywhere yet.
Also, functionalities may differ from country to country.
Instagram Shopping availability
First, your instagram account need to be set on an available market in order to tag products and sell through Instagram. Click here to see where Instagram Shopping is available.
Then, your account must meet Facebook/ Instagram Shopping requirements:
– Comply with Facebook policies
– Represent your business and your domain
– Be located in a supported market
– Demonstrate trustworthiness
– Provide accurate information and follow best practices
Last but not the least, your Instagram business account will be reviewed by the IG team and hopefully approved for Instagram Shopping,
How to setup Instagram Shopping?
Before setting up your Instagram Shop you have to create a product catalog.
Don’t worry: it is quite easy. Let’s just follow the steps!
How to create a Facebook catalog using Catalog Manager?
In order to create your Facebook catalog, you will need:
- a Facebook Page for your business, if you don’t, click here to create a Facebook Page for your business and follow the steps.
- a Business manager account. Click here to create your Business manager account
Now You are ready to create your catalog. This is a quite easy operation and soon you will be ready to start with your Instagram Shopping feature:
1. Go to catalog Manager
2. Click on create catalog
3. Select your Inventory Type
*Note that if you want to use product tags and stickers, you will have to select Ecommerce.
4. Add Items to your catalog
If you select Ecommerce you will have 2 options to add items to your catalog:
- If you host your products on an Ecommerce platform such as Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Magento, Open Cart and you want to import directly your items to Facebook Catalog Manager select Connect Ecommerce Platform.
- To add items yourself, select Upload Product Info. Then you will see it is easy to add manually new items on your catalog. You will have to download a picture of your product, give it a name, a description, a link to your website and price. This is the screen you will see when you add manually items on your Instagram Shopping.
5. Submit your account for Instagram Shopping
So everything is set up, your account and catalog are connected, now you need to signup for Shopping on Instagram.
Go to Instagram app—-Profile settings—–Business—-Tap Instagram Shopping. Follow the steps and submit your account for review. It may take a few day for your account to be reviewed and approved.
6. Turn on Instagram shopping on Instagram app
It seems obvious but don’t forget to do it. Go to Profile settings, you will see a new Shopping option available. Tap on it to turn on Instagram Shopping option
Create your first shoppable post with Instagram Shopping
This is the nice part of the process. You are now ready to create your first post and it is quite similar to tagging someone on a regular post.
- Create a new post (or select an existing one).
- Tap on the image on the product you would like to tag
- Enter the names of the products you want to tag (up to 5), then select among the suggestions
- Click Done
- Select Share
Sell with Instagram Shopping stories
Stories are definitely a great way to engage your audience. Good news is, you are now able to tag your stories thanks to Instagram shopping feature The process is quite similar to tagging a post.
- Upload your story
- Tap the icon on the top-right corner
- Click Product
- Select the item from your catalog
Some tips to start with Instagram Shopping
- You can tag product on existing post
- You are allowed to tag up to 5 products on a post
- With carousel you can tag up to 20 products
- Everytime you tag a post, the post will appear in its dedicated shopping feed in your profile (once you have at least 9 posts).
- Customize your product sticker to fit with your post colors
- Drag your product sticker where it is best suited to preserve picture quality and user experience.
- Track your performance with Instagram Insights
- Make sure you send the user to the right URL after clicking on the product
Instagram Shopping success stories
“Since we started to use the feature, our sales from Instagram have increased by 42% and traffic to our website from Instagram is up to 98%”
Laura Dover, Global Digital Communication Manager at Barbour
“We believe Instagram is integral to how our audience is inspired to shop. We’re seeing a strong lift in sales conversions whenever we use shopping on Instagram, since tapping to learn about our products has become the norm”
Elisa Kosonen, Senior Manager, Social Media at Aritzia
A glimpse in the future of Instagram Shopping
Instagram regularly test new features in countries. Let’s have a quick look into the future.
In order to improve User experience, Instagram has recently integrated Spark AR. The idea behind this is to let users virtually try product and hopefully buy it after they are convinced by how the product will look on them. This feature was available at first for cosmetics but Instagram plans to make it available for more products.
Moreover, Facebook also owns Oculus, we can easily imagine an even more immersive virtual shopping experience through Oculus product and VR.
A brand new Checkout option is being tested
Instagram introduced Checkout on Instagram on March 2019. In other words, when you find a product you love on Instagram Shopping, you can buy it directly without leaving the app. Soon, you will not need to visit the merchant website to finalize your transaction.
This will offer a frictionless experience for the customer, and a powerful tool for conversion.
In addition, user payment informations will be securely saved after the first transaction, , making the next purchase an even better experience.
However, the Checkout on Instagram feature is still in beta test with different major companies such as H&M, Zara, Dior…
Of course, we can imagine it will be soon available for every companies offering an Instagram Shopping experience.
In conclusion, Instagram offers a huge user base, high engagement tools to promote your content to the right audience. Now with a powerful Ecommerce platform, Instagram will not only capture your attention but your wallet as well.
This is definitely an opportunity not to be missed for any business willing to grow.